You are $25.00 away from free shipping

What is vitamin D?

What is vitamin D?
May 28, 2015

 

 

What exactly is vitamin D? Is it a hormone, a vitamin or more?

Is vitamin D a hormone?

Yes, it is definitely a hormone, which sets vitamin D apart from all other vitamins. However, the human body has to change the form of vitamin D that is made in the skin or that is ingested, from a ‘pro-hormone” or a building block to the active hormone calcitriol or activated vitamin D.

What also sets vitamin D apart from all other vitamins is that the human body is capable of making its own vitamin D. This is done in the skin when the skin is exposed to direct sunlight. Luckily, our bodies can make vitamin D because very few foods contain vitamin D, typically only 10 per cent comes from food. The other 90 per cent or so of vitamin D that we need must come from either the sun or dietary supplements. For current vitamin D recommendations, click here.

Is vitamin D truly a vitamin?

Vitamin D is technically not a vitamin because it is a pro-hormone. However, with that said, many people do believe that vitamin D is truly a vitamin[i]. By definition, vitamins are essential to life and when they are lacking in the diet certain diseases can develop.

Scientists established long ago that a deficiency in vitamin D leads to diseases of the bone. Without vitamin D, bones become weak or soft, causing rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults. Vitamin D deficiency may also be related to problems with the immune, cardiovascular, and metabolic systems but the evidence is still unclear about this.

What does seem clear is that when a person doesn’t get enough vitamin D they can develop diseases related to the deficiency. This explains why some people believe that vitamin D is a vitamin despite the fact that it is also a hormone.

More than a vitamin? Why do we need vitamin D?

Vitamin D has traditionally been associated with bone development. It helps the body absorb calcium and phosphorous in the gut, which are both needed to build and maintain strong, healthy bones, and teeth. It is also responsible for preventing bones from being broken down by the body.

However, vitamin D also appears to work as a building block involved in repair and maintenance of the body. Vitamin D receptors have been found in many different types of tissues in the body, leading scientists to believe that it plays a much bigger role in the health of the body [ii]. Vitamin D research continues to bring more light to this subject!

While there may be a bit of a controversy about whether vitamin D is actually a ‘vitamin’, there is no doubt that it is important for our health. Health authoritiesconsider vitamin D to be essential to maintaining general health and supporting normal growth of bones and teeth.  This is why many healthcare practitioners discuss vitamin D intake with their patients and often recommend a vitamin D supplement like Ddrops.

Updates and edits by Carrie Noriega, MD, FACOG.

 

.

.

About the author:

Susan Jankus | Ddrops

Susan works in our marketing department, but she is a science geek at heart. She has degrees in biology and pharmacology and love researching scientific content. In whatever spare time she has, Susan is trying to keep up with her teenage kids and sneaks out for walks with her dog, Sugar.

More by this Author:
The role of DHA & EPA through the lifecycle: Adulthood & Pregnancy
Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) are forms of omega-3 fatty acids found in cold-water, fatty...
The role of DHA & EPA through the lifecycle: Children & Adolescents
Do our vitamin D requirements change with the season?
Vitamin D is important all year round - but are we getting equal amounts every season?
This is the privacy policy sample page.
It was created automatically and do not substitute the one you need to create and provide to your store visitors.
Please, replace this text with the correct privacy policy by visiting the Customers > GDPR > Privacy Policy section in the backend.